“I am grateful for any and every encounter — yes, even the ones that left me brokenhearted. Now I know that even the brokenness made me seek the healing. We cannot seek water without thirst. And when I come across people who carry their own pain and suffering — which is all of us, each and every single one — having had my own pain makes it so much more real, more personal, more immediate to sit with them and their pain. We are rarely more human than we are when we see the suffering in one another.”
Why Hosts and Guardians And The Purpose They Serve
We appreciate your interest in becoming a Host or Guardian as we continue to expand our efforts to facilitate healing in Houston.
The purpose of a Host in a Healing Circle is to facilitate the progress of the Circle, keep the intention and guide the evolution of healing throughout the gathering. Guardians serve the role of keeping the Circle on track and timing the progress of each facet of the Circle so that the intention can be achieved in the time allotted.
Becoming a Healing Circles Host and/or Guardian is a considerable gift to your community and to yourself.
Becoming a Host or Guardian
- Generally candidates for either position are expected to have attended at least three Healing Circles before they attend Host Orientation.
- Every Circle requires the attendance and guidance of both a Guardian and a Host.
- Candidates require an invitation to become a Host or a Guardians or a nomination by another experienced Host.
- The roles of Host and Guardian are interchangeable and, following orientation and some practice, you’ll be able to fill either role.
- Note that Hosts and Guardians, if unable or unwilling to follow Healing Circles guidelines, will be asked to discontinue volunteering in Healing Circles.
Orientations for new Hosts and Guardians are held several times a year and candidates are required to attend these sessions which run approximately three hours. Prior to attending orientation, we ask that you take a look at the list of resources below. A small collection of short reference documents and guidelines will also be distributed during Orientation.
We also host a monthly meeting of Hosts and Guardians of Healing Circles at the Healing Circles Houston center at 1100 Milford in the Museum District. During this circle we connect leaders and hosts with opportunities to lead and share experiences and ideas for improving the process of leading Healing Circles. This meeting occurs every second Wednesday of the month. Those who have participated in the Orientation for Hosts and Guardians are welcome whether or not they are currently involved in a circle.
Why Your Participation Is Important
If you’re interested in attending an Orientation, please send a message to us which includes:
- The phrase “Interested in becoming a Host” in the subject line.
- A short summary of any relevant experience you have.
- A 20- to 40-word description of why you’re interested in becoming a Host or Guardian.
If it touches the heart and guides us on our path, it’s a Healing Circle.